It’s been said that comparison is the thief of joy. We need to steal it back. Don’t feel bad about yourself because you think other people can lift heavier weights or run on the treadmill at a higher speed. If you see someone working out next to you at the gym, smile and encourage them! By liberating yourself from expectations and pressure, you can start your fitness revolution. Working out should contribute to your pursuit of happiness!
Whether you are working out at home, in the gym, with a personal trainer or in a class, you have the power to adjust your movements and weights depending on what you need. Looking for a routine to help guide you? Read on.
Below are examples of how to modify a circuit routine based on your skill level! You have the freedom to choose each move at the same level, or to switch it up depending in your comfortability.
- Patriotic Push-Ups
- Beginner: Bent-knee push-ups
- Intermediate: Push-ups
- Expert: One-handed push-ups
- Star-Spangled Squats
- Beginner: Wall squat
- Intermediate: Stationary squat
- Expert: Jump squat
- Celebration Crunches
- Beginner: Standard crunches
- Intermediate: Crunches with touching elbows to alternating knee
- Expert: Crunches with legs suspended in the air
- Liberty Jump Lunges
- Beginner: Backwards step lunges
- Intermediate: Jump lunges
- Expert: Weighted jump lunges with a dumbbell in each hand
- Revolution Hip Raises
- Beginner: Hip raises
- Intermediate: Single-leg hip raises
- Expert: Single-leg hip raises with leg extended
- Courageous Mountain Climbers
- Beginner: Standard mountain climbers
- Intermediate: Cross-body mountain climbers
- Expert: Plank jack mountain climbers
In addition to modifying the exercises themselves, you can also choose how to time your circuits!
Some suggestions include:
- Beginner: 5-8 reps with 60-90 seconds rest in between circuits for a total of 20 minutes
- Intermediate: 8-12 reps with 45 seconds of rest in between circuits for a total of 30 minutes
- Expert:10-15 reps with 30 seconds of rest in between circuits for a total of 45 minutes
Revolutionizing your workout to best fit your lifestyle is what Fitness Connection is all about! Our gym is a place where you can modify how you exercise to meet the needs of your body and lifestyle. Are you ready to find newfound freedom at the gym? Sign up for circuit classes with Les Mills this month and check out our entire class schedule here!