June is Pride Month. It’s a time to celebrate the LBGTQIA+ community. At Fitness Connection, that means acknowledging what make our members unique and how we come together to be an accepting and nurturing community. We asked our group fitness instructors from locations all over to find out what pride means to them. Read on to find out what they think!
1. What comes to mind when you think about inclusivity?
- Summer F.: Everyone deserves to be welcome and find a place of community, friendship and fun.
- Erika W.: It’s about accepting people for who they are. Respecting everyone and their beliefs. Honoring diversity. Allowing everyone to feel welcome and a part of the group.
2. How do you show up for members every day?
- Keecha F.: I look forward to dancing and fellowship along with FC members!!! I have a diverse class that supports each other, and I love that I have created an atmosphere like that in my classes!! How can I not show up for that?!?
- Candace R.: I show up eager and excited knowing I can create a place where they are not judged but loved.
3. What does Pride mean to you?
- Sara S.: Pride to me is promoting equality for LGBTQ+ folks, uplifting their voices, being proud of who you are, celebrating accomplishments and achievements.
- Erika W.: Love, light and equality.
4. Describe the community you’ve found at Fitness Connection.
- Summer F.: We have an incredible community at FC and I love our members! I’ve made so many great friends. Our classes are really a great community of people from all backgrounds, and I feel really fortunate to have met some amazing people.
- Candace R.: I’ve found an amazing group of people that love big and work hard when it comes to fitness. They are encouraging. No one gets left behind.
5. What is your favorite part about being surrounded by people different from you?
- Summer F.: Learning from them and listening to them. Everyone has a story and it’s important to listen to those stories and to put yourself in someone else’s shoes.
- Erika W.: I embrace and respect people from ALL types of lifestyles and backgrounds. I don’t judge. I’ve always said, “to each their own.” Let people be who they are.
When the FitFam gets together, we’re all the best version of ourselves. Our passion for our members stretches far beyond any words we can express! If you’re interested in joining our inclusive community, check out our Flex Your Pride group fitness schedule here. We also have limited-edition, online-only gear in the ProShop to celebrate community.